Price: 4,99 €
(as of Jun 02,2021 16:25:25 UTC – Details)
„Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland“ is considered to be one of the masterpieces of world literature and has been selected as one of the 100 greatest novels of all time by The Guardian.
With its funny and imaginative dialogues, the author takes us to a whole new world. The reader’s imagination is stimulated by scenes where drinking from a bottle will make Alice larger or smaller, where there are cakes that are made of pepper only, where there is a crazy trial and much more. You could say there are almost philosophical traits within the book. Thus, when Alice asks the Cheshire Cat for directions, the cat says:
That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,’ said the Cat. Das hängt zum guten Teil davon ab, wohin du gehen willst,’ sagte die Katze.
I don’t much care where–‘ said Alice. Es kommt mir nicht darauf an, wohin –‘ sagte Alice.
Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,’ said the Cat.’ Dann kommt es auch nicht darauf an, welchen Weg du nimmst,’ sagte die Katze.’
Not only authors of children’s literature were inspired by his books, but also painters like the Surrealist artist Max Ernst or André Breton. “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” is a story that does not get boring even after reading it multiple times, sparks the imagination and is funny: perfect for learning English.
The book is suitable for adults, or parents how would like to learn German together with their children. Maybe you can learn German together (depending on the age of the child). Or you brush up your German with this bilingual edition.
About this edition: (Parallel Text, Bilingual)
- You can choose to read in German or English, switch between the two languages or just insert some German words if you read to your child
- The original text and the literary translation are placed in parallel vertical columns side by side.
- Therefore you can check almost instantly whether you understand or not. This is ideal to increase your vocabulary significantly very fast.
- So you can truly enjoy the story since you need only a split second to check the translation.
- The German translation is very close to the English original. This makes understanding simple, and lookup of difficult words fast.
- It makes it very suitable for learning both German and English.
Extensive reading and learning German with parallel texts: Why?
Extensive reading means reading a lot in a foreign language. It is not important to understand every word. You continue to read in order to find out what happens next. The pleasure of reading is what increases language abilities. Kato Lomb was a Hungarian interpreter who spoke several languages fluently. She described in her book “How I Learn Languages” how she used extensive reading to increase her vocabulary fast. The American linguist Stephen Krashen has said that free voluntary reading is “the most powerful tool we have in language education”. Most important features: – Funny, entertaining and creative – Effective and fast because of special text editing – Suitable to read to your child – A quick way to improve and expand your vocabulary – For beginners and advanced readers